There have been thousands of sporting contests over the years in all parts of the world, and if one were to ask which were the most attractive, that would be a difficult question to answer, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are certainly iconic trophies that are etched in the minds of most sports lovers, and here is a list of the top ten.
1. FIFA’s World Cup must be the most well-known of all trophies, with the original “Jules Rimet” trophy replaced in 1974 with the current design. Crafted from pure 18carat gold, the trophy depicts two human bodies holding the Earth.
2. Wimbledon is the home of tennis, and the men’s singles trophy is made from silver gilt and has been used since 1877. The winner’s name is engraved on the original trophy and they receive a replica to keep.
3. The Ashes series is a traditional cricket battle between England and Australia, with the winners receiving a terracotta with a burnt bail. The original is kept at Lord’s cricket museum, and a replica is given to the winning team. The best of 5 tests decides this annual battle, and the rivalry is intense, as the series goes back to the 19th century.
4. The Web-Ellis cup is the World Cup of Rugby, and the design is very unique. Crafted from gilded silver, it weighs 4.5 kgs and was introduced in 1987. Cups have always held the advantage over sports shields and plaques, perhaps because one can fill it with champagne.
5. The Stanley Cup is the NHL trophy for the winning team of the season in Canadian hockey. Made from silver and nickel alloy, it weighs in at an incredible 15.5 kgs. Named after Lord Stanley, who was the governor of Canada in the late 19th century.
6. The FA cup is known to every English soccer supporter, and the final of this knockout competition is played at Wembley Stadium in London every year at the end of the soccer season. For amazing customised trophies, check out http://sportsstartrophies.com.au/ for affordable awards of all shapes and sizes.
7. The Claret Jug is awarded to the British Open Golf winner, and is a beautiful trophy that the winner can keep until the start of the next year’s championships.
8. The Vince Lombardi Trophy is awarded to the Super Bowl winner every year in American football. Named after Vince Lombardi, the coach who helped the Green Bay Packers secure back to back victories in 1967 -8.
9. The Champions League Trophy is a huge urn shaped design that has been used since 1967, and is very heavy. The team that wins this is the best in Europe and they celebrate accordingly.
10. The US open trophy doesn’t have a name but it is still regarded as one of the best there is. The trophy dates back to 1895 when the tournament began, and was replaced after a fire destroyed the original in 1947.
There are many more well-known awards in the world of sports, and they are a symbol of the dedication and determination it takes to be a winner.